Wednesday, October 7, 2009

(re)naming and (re)collecting

My Dad went by Walt, Wally, Vwadje, and earlier in his life, Tippy. It seems that everyone that is my father’s childhood friend had an alternate name - Jimmy Pickles is my favorite. We called my mother’s brother Uncle Buck although his name was Paul. (I was told he was in a gang in his youth – they called him Buck Rogers and part of it stuck.) We called our godparents and family friends ‘aunt’ and ‘uncle’ although they were technically neither: Aunt Peggy, Aunt Pattie, Aunt Louise, Uncle Charlie and Uncle Richie. We called my Mom’s mother Mammam Dando; she was rarely in our company so we referred to her in a manner that mostly served to differentiate her from my Dad’s mother - we just called her Mammam. We called Dad's father Dzjajie. ('jȯ-jē )

I have only one recollection of Dzjajie. He shifted on the burgundy naugahyde of what I understood to be ‘his’ chair to give me space, not on his lap but next to it. I squeezed between him and the chair’s arm and my feet dangled far from the floor. He smelled of work – burned flux and freshly welded metal. It was a smell that became very familiar years later – the smell of my father just coming home from work. He would kiss my head as he went to the basement – ‘the cellar,’ we called it – to take a “quick shower” before dinner. (My father always says he is taking a “quick shower” and my mother always says she is going to “hop in the tub.” I’m not certain why their bathing always seems to have time constraints.)

I made a linoleum-block print with an image of Dzjajie’s chair on it; below it was text describing the single memory I maintain of my grandfather. My mother saw the print in a local exhibition that she and Dad came to Rochester to see. “You can’t remember Dzjajie! You’re remembering a picture,” she said – “its at home in the box with all the old photographs.” A heavy cardboard “Clark’s Poultry” box stamped with a red silhouette of a rooster holds the collection of old photographs. On my next several visits home I methodically mined through decades of images but I could not find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment